Tuition and Grants
Since Fall 2000, most of the School for Formation courses and workshops have been offered without required tuition payments.
Participants are encouraged to make a financial donation according to their means, or contribute ministry in kind. Our courses typically cost ECMN about $300 per participant. We offer these courses because of the value of high-quality theological education for the life of the church. Your generosity allows us to continue and expand the work of the School for Formation. Thank you!
Previously, the Episcopal Church in Minnesota subsidized 2/3 of the cost of School for Formation courses and cohorts significantly in order to keep expenses as low as possible for participants. In 2019-20, most of the online courses we offered cost $300. That cost included lunch at the in-person gathering at the ECMN Retreat Center. Click here to see 2019-20 tuition projections for Holy Orders formation.
These grant opportunities offer additional support for theological education:
- Episcopal Church Educational Grants
- Society for the Increase of Ministry
- Episcopal Evangelism Society
- Becoming Beloved Community Grants
- UTO Grants
- Minnesota Order of the Eastern Star | Training Award for Religious Leadership
In-Person Meeting Locations
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, the School for Formation has transitioned to holding our courses exclusively online, with zoom meetings instead of live, in-person meetings.
As of 2021-22, the Formation Cohorts meet in person twice a year.
In May 2022, the Formands’ Retreat will take place at Covenant Pines in McGregor, MN.
- ECMN Retreat Center (aka The Inn at Shattuck-St. Mary’s): at Shattuck-St. Mary’s School in Faribault, MN. You can find a detailed campus map here. You can access the retreat center by parking in front of Shumway Hall (the clock tower building). With Shumway Hall on your right, follow the sidewalk to the retreat center. There is also limited parking there.
- Episcopal House of Prayer: The Episcopal House of Prayer is located on the edge of the St. John’s University/St. John’s Abbey campus in Collegeville. This campus map might be helpful. The physical address is 14215 Fruit Farm Road, St. Joseph, MN 56374. For more info on getting there, the House of Prayer site can guide you here.
- Emmaus Hall / St. John’s School of Theology: Often our courses meet in classrooms on the bottom floor of Emmaus Hall at St. John’s University School of Theology (2966 St John’s Rd, Collegeville, MN 56321). If coming directly from I-94, take Exit 156 (County Rd 159). Follow signs toward St. John’s University (campus map). At the 4 way stop, turn right to stay on St. John’s Road. Follow road to the last building on the left — that’s Emmaus Hall. You can use parking area P17.
Where to Purchase Course Materials
Required books for School for Formation courses can be purchased from the Cathedral Bookshop at St. Mark’s Cathedral, located at 519 Oak Grove St, Minneapolis, MN 55403.
You can also find the Cathedral Book Shop on Facebook!