Online: February 1 – March 22, 2021
Videoconferences: Dates forthcoming
All good liturgy is deeply theological and deeply pastoral. This course focuses on liturgy at life’s seams and disruptions, including confirmation, marriage, childbirth, praying with the sick, confession, burial, and times of crisis, looking at both pastoral and theological aspects of these liturgies. Alongside this, we will spend time looking at liturgical space, and becoming familiar with the prayer book. This seven week online course will focus on constructing and leading these services wisely and well. The course is open to anyone – lay, ordained, or discerning/training for orders. The bulk of the work will take place online through Moodle posts; we will also meet in person on March 7th. Prepare to come away feeling more familiar with these services and confident in leading them and being with people during these crucial times in life!
Instructor: Jason Fout, Associate Professor of Anglican Theology at Bexley+Seabury.
- Book of Common Prayer
- Book of Occasional Services
- Changes: Prayers and Services Honoring Rites of Passage (Church Publishing, 2007)
- Enriching Our Worship 5: Liturgies and Prayers Related to Childbearing, Childbirth, and Loss (Church Publishing, 2009).
- Gatta, Julia and Martin L. Smith, Go in Peace: The Art of Hearing Confessions (Morehouse, 2012).
- Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music, “I Will Bless You and You Will Be A Blessing”: Resources for the Witnessing and Blessing of a Lifelong Covenant in a Same-Sex Relationship. Liturgical Resources 1 (Church Publishing, 2012).
- Additional short readings posted to Moodle.
One previous participate said:
Jason was very creative in his teaching methods…. I especially appreciated the lesson where he had us write a letter to an undertaker in response to reading his piece about why “the dead do not care.” Jason provided us with experiences that made us dig deeper, look more closely at the rubrics, and become thoughtfully intentional about what we do and why we do it….I really appreciated this class, and learned tons!